Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"How Schools Really Matter"

For my Sociology class I am taking this semester, I have a lot of reading that I find relative to many aspects of my life. I read many very interesting things of all different topics, but currently I am reading about the education and schools. I last read “How Schools Really Matter” by Douglas B. Downey and Benjamin G. Gibbs. The article discusses the importance of education and schooling in, not only the lives of younger children, but also all children. It is becoming increasingly more important to receive a higher degree of education to succeed to today’s society. About ten years ago, it was necessary to obtain a bachelor’s degree in college; however, as society has grown and evolved, it is now crucial to earn higher than a bachelor’s degree, such as a master’s. I can relate to this change in society because I am currently a college student, and in order to compete in the work world with my generation, I must receive a higher degree.

1 comment: